There are seven main chakras or energy centers in our bodies. Each is associated with our organs and a nexus of nerves that surround the chakra. Chakras also effect our emotional and mental health. When the chakras are open and balanced, energy can circulate freely throughout our body, mind, and aura (the energetic field that surrounds us).
When any of these energy centers become imbalanced or blocked, energy begins to collect or stagnate in the area of the blockage. The chakra system will then attempt to compensate for the imbalance and that is when things really start to get complicated. Some areas are accumulating, while other areas are strangled or staved of energetic circulation. Balance is disrupted! Over time we attempt to function fully despite the imbalance, don't we? We try to push through the irritation, pain, headache, or emotions, medicating as needed, largely trying to ignore it until it goes away. But it doesn't go away.
According to many healing traditions, accumulation is the cause of a variety of physical, mental, emotional and spiritual ailments. As most of us know, too much of anything all at once or accumulation over time can cause problems. For example, most of us have eaten a candy bar at some point in our lives. A single instance or rare occurrence of this act is relatively inconsequential to our overall health. However, if we eat five candy bars on Halloween night or a candy bar a day for twenty years the outcome is much different! In order to maintain our best possible health we need effective circulation together with keeping consumption or exposure in moderation. If you are experiencing recurring pain, ailments or symptoms, an accumulation from chakra imbalance could be the cause.
1. The Root Chakra sits at the base of your spine, at your perineum and is associated with organs of elimination, legs, feet and, in biological males, reproduction. If this chakra is in balance, you'll feel supported, connected, grounded, and safe in your own body.
Signs that the root chakra is out of balance include:
Problems in the legs, feet, rectum, or tailbone
Issues with the male reproductive organs or prostate gland
Joint degeneration in lower extremities, arthritis, knee pain, sciatica
Eating disorders, diarrhea or constipation
Stress about personal or financial security
2. The Sacral Chakra is located just below your navel and is associated with the reproductive organs of biological females, intestines, bladder and the kidneys. In balance, you'll feel empowered to take creative risks, embrace your sexuality, and be outgoing.
Signs the sacral chakra is out of balance include:
Sexual, menstrual, or reproductive health issues
Urinary problems, kidney dysfunctions
Hip, pelvic, and low back pain
Inability to express emotions or desire, fear of betrayal
3. The Solar Plexus Chakra is located in the abdomen and is associated with the pancreas, liver, spleen, and gallbladder. In balance, you'll feel self-respect and self-compassion.
Signs the solar plexus chakra is out of balance include:
Digestive problems, acid reflux, stomach irritation
Pancreas and gallbladder issues
Anger, egotistical or self-critical behaviors, fear of rejection
4. The Heart chakra is located near the heart in the center of the chest and is associated with our physical heart as well as our emotional heart center. With the heart in balance, you will feel joy, gratitude, love, and compassion. It will also be easier for you to forgive yourself and others.
Signs the heart chakra is out of balance include:
Asthma or respiratory problems
Upper back and shoulder problems
Cardiac or blood pressure problems
Arm and wrist pain
Love emotions can be over-active to the point of jealousy, bitterness, or over-indulgent sensuality or sexual behavior as a substitute for healthy love.
Persistent fear of being alone, unloved or unwanted
5. The Throat chakra is located in center of the throat, associated with the thyroid gland and speaking truth. Someone with a balanced throat chakra may feel articulate, honest, and truthful yet firm, set appropriate boundaries as well as being a voice for those who do not speak for themselves.
Signs the throat chakra is out of balance include:
Neck and shoulder pain
Difficulty expressing yourself or setting boundaries
Fear of being out of control or becoming too controlling of others
6. Third-eye chakra is located in the middle of the eyebrows, in the center of the forehead and is associated with the pituitary gland in the brain. In balance, you'll feel focused and determined but also open to receiving advice from others.
Signs the third-eye chakra is out of balance include:
Blurred vision, eye strain
Mood swings, difficulty with concentration, or stubbornness
7. The Crown chakra is located at the back of the top of the head and is associate with the pineal gland in the brain. If it's in balance, you have an unshakeable trust in your inner guidance.
Signs the crown chakra is out of balance include:
Feeling Spiritually void or disconnected
Constant fear of alienation
Almost everyone with experience one or more of these issues at various points throughout their life. After reading this, you may feel that more than one of your chakras could be imbalanced or blocked. The good news is, balance can be restored!